I have not had a weekly poll besides MAC during the regular season but I feel like I have enough knowledge and enough time to compile the states best 25 teams. Give me some feedback by using the comment link on the bottom of the page.
1. East Grand Rapids (14-0) - After locking up their fifth straight title, they handed it to OLSM for the most part in the state final game.
2. Harrison (14-0) - In the state final they dethroned defending champion, Lowell. Their resume this season is impressive beating De La Salle, Grosse Pointe South and Division 1 Champion, Lake Orion.
3. Lake Orion (13-1) - The red hot Plymouth team was not able to continue their success but Lake Orion recently knocked out Cass Tech and Eisenhower, their regular season was not too impressive but if they do not play Harrison they are probably 14-0.
4. Cass Tech (12-1) - After destroying everyone since Pioneer in Week 1, Cass ran into Lake Orion and fell short in the final 30 seconds. Cass eliminated Dakota and Fordson convincingly but the most impressive stat is 5 shutouts and 1 in the playoffs.
5. Plymouth (11-3) - Before you complain that Plymouth should be #4, hear me out. Plymouth was the shock of the tournament upsetting Canton, Catholic Central and Rockford. This is why I have them below Cass because this is based off of the season, not just playoffs. Plymouth got shutout against Canton and had problems moving the ball on offense versus Lake Orion. There is the negatives but whats good for Plymouth was their defense and kicking game, Plymouth is not a one year wonder so do not think I am trying to throw them under the bus here.
6. Rockford (11-2) - After nearly going perfect during the season only falling to Grand Haven by 3 points, Rockford was upset by upstart Plymouth in the semi final. I think everyone just expected Rockford to be in Ford Field because of past teams.
7. Romeo (9-2) - Romeo lost to Troy in week 1 but erupted the following week versus Dakota and did not look back all year, they were led by the most balanced offense in the state, yet they have Michigan's toughest running back to tackle, Ryan Burkard. Ryan was a nightmare for all players and all the coaches I have talked to. After beating Eisenhower during MAC Red play they were unable to cap their multi touchdown comeback with a win. They lost to Ike in overtime in the district final.
8. Brother Rice (6-4) It was a shame to see them leave so early but their time against Harrison would of came sooner or later. I love the game, it added some early drama and from what I heard was a really entertaining game. They had 2 wins versus OLSM, including one in the Prep Bowl.
9. Lowell (11-3) - The defending Division 2 state champs were unable to hold off Harrison, their other losses were to Greenville and Division 3 champion, East Grand Rapids. Next season they get those two teams week 6 and 8.
10. Eisenhower (10-2) - The lack of consistency was clear as day against Lake Orion in the semi final. They scored a late field goal to make the game look close on paper but the problem was besides one scoring drive they had problems moving the ball. That was the case all year, as most of the wins were by less than a touchdown and a shutout against Romeo. Their defense is arguably the best in the state, if Danny Ney does break that 70 yard sweep, that game could of been different. It is what it is though.
11. Canton (10-1) - After putting an ass whooping on Plymouth with a 36-0 victory they were unable to repeat it in the playoffs, losing to Plymouth in a close game. Canton however was a major favorite from the start and certainly did not disappoint anyone.
12. Dakota (9-3) - Dakota lost to Romeo and Eisenhower in the regular season and finished it off with a big win over Utica Ford and then had to beat Ford 2 weeks later in the districts. Dakota ran into Cass Tech and after a few miscues on offense were to far to come from behind but you cannot forget about their win versus Muskegon. Although they lost to the top dogs in the MAC Red and easily handled cellar dwellers: Warren Mott, Chippewa Valley and Stevenson. They however took care of business with the playoff win and Grosse Pointe South.
13. Orchard Lake St Mary's (11-3) - Fell to East Grand Rapids for the fifth straight game, denying St Marys of the state title. Their only 2 losses were to Brother Rice during the season and in the prep bowl. Big wins also included State Champion West Catholic, De La Salle and a shoot out win versus Avondale who upset heavy favored Hazel Park.
14. Ithaca (14-0) - Ithaca was led by future Central Michigan quarterback, Alex Niznak who led a balanced offense all season. They breezed by the regular season schedule and games started to become closer and closer. In the final it was one of those games where the last team with the ball would win. Niznak led the team down field for the win, in the process he set a state final record with 5 rushing touchdowns.
15. Catholic Central (9-3) - A year after winning it all in Division 1 they were again favorites after Canton was eliminated but they were held to a touchdown in a 7-9 defeat against Plymouth. They also lost back to back weeks against Brother Rice and Orchard Lake St Marys.
16. Walled Lake Central (11-2) - After losing in week 1 to Canton they rebounded by winning big games versus Howell, Fenton and a 14-13 win over Rochester Adams. They were knocked out by Lowell in the semi final.
17. Grand Rapids West Catholic (13-1) - West Catholic's only loss to Orchard Lake St Marys in the first week of the season and they responded by winning 13 straight and put a hand down on Olivet, to win their schools first state title.
18. Madison Heights (9-3) - Madison Heights probably lost one of the biggest upsets of the tournament, certainly in the later divisions against, Millington. They lost to Marine City and against Port Huron when their quarterback Tony Lowry went out for the season. Madison however relied on Florida commit Valdez Showers who did not disappoint anyone but unfortunately the road ended to soon for Madison.
19. Holland West Ottawa (8-3) - West Ottawa was eliminated by Rockford and also lost to them in the regular season but had a big win over Grand Haven in week 10.
20. Zeeland East (11-1) - Winners of the Ottawa Kent Green, breezed by their schedule and fell 13-17 to East Grand Rapids in the regional final.
21. Grand Haven (8-2) - In case you are wondering why the winner of the Ottawa Kent Red has both its trailing conference members ahead of them, consider this, West Ottawa dealt Grand Haven their only 2 losses.
22. Grosse Pointe South (8-5) - GPS was certainly the talk of the tournament in division 2, pulling off upset over upset. They won the MAC Blue and also defeated 11-0, Temperance Bedford but Harrison made people forget about all of that with a 51-0 victory.
23. Grand Rapids Catholic Cental (12-2) - Won a thrilling come from behind victory against Williamston to win the state title.
24. Muskegon (8-4) - With accepting a game with Dakota, it meant their season may boost or fall down. With the loss, Muskegon was forgotten and I am here to say they are still a great team that had a lot of tough games, next year the team will be better because of the difficult schedule. The losses were Dakota, Rockford, Grand Haven and Lowell.
25. De La Salle (9-3) - A real young team that looks really good. Its safe to say this team is competing for the Catholic Central title when no one is or was expecting them to. Their only 2 losses during the season were Catholic Central and St Marys. They shut out red hot Brother Rice 7-0. In the playoffs they completely shut out one of the most explosive offenses in the MAC, Port Huron and then took care of an upcoming Lakeview team. They met their match in Harrison but look in the future for De La Salle.